Your new phpBB board

Powered by Debian

How to dye pine needles?

How to dye pine needles?

Postby Diana » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:42 am

I would like to dye pine needles black. How do I do that?
Diana

Re: How to dye pine needles?

Postby Olga » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 am

To dye pine needles I use a square Pyrex baking dish 14” long. I like to use Rit liquid dye. To prepare pine needles for absorbing the dye soak them for 45 minutes in warm water. After that pour 4 cups of boiling water into the Pyrex dish, add 3oz of liquid dye (black, purple, green or blue) and 1/3 cup of salt. Mix the solution until salt dissolves. Put 4oz of pine needles into the solution and simmer for 40-60 minutes, stir the needles from time to time. When you are satisfied with color intensity wash your needles in cold running water.
Olga

Postby Olga » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 am

Olga

Postby Olga » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I have never tried to propagate a pine tree. But I noticed that a lot of baby pine trees grow under the bigger pine trees. They grow from pine seeds. You know when you get a ripe pine cone and bring it into a warm environment the pine cone opens and you can see the seeds inside. Plant those seeds into soil.
Olga

Re: How to dye pine needles

Postby Olga » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 pm

RafaelNap wrote:I have heard that the pine needles have a PH on the acid side. That is good in our area because we have high ph soils. Somehow the needles create an acid soil over time that the pine trees like. I have a neighbor that has some large pine trees. I have used some of the needles from them to mulch my little seedling trees. It works good for that.

Good to know, thank you! I have noticed that not that many other plants can grow under pine trees. That might explain this.
Olga

Return to Basketry